An event every week that begins at 5:00pm on Tuesday, repeating until December 12, 2017
Writing Webseries & TV for Social Justice
Simulate a writer’s room with a talented cohort of emerging storytellers to co-write a webisode and short-form sketch content! Decolonize humor and change the narrative to subvert mainstream media through a platform growing in popularity. All content will be produced and distributed online within a year as part of The SweetSpot, a comedic webseries about a diverse group of friends from the San Gabriel Valley who contend with modern-day adulthood. Course curriculum will cover various aspects of writing, including creating a series arc, character arc,
episode breakdown, outlining, proper formatting, beat sheet, act structure, dialogue, and rewriting.
Participants are encouraged to have participated in a filmmaking, Ethnic Studies, or social justice course prior to enrollment.
– Refine pitching capabilities.
– Develop skills that are desirable for a studio staff writing position, such as writing collaboratively, and in the voice of a pre-established world.
– Deconstruct humor from a perspective of gender equality, anti-racism, and social justice.
– Improve your grasp on story structure.
– Learn to captivate an online audience with a “hook.”
– See first-hand from the experts who’ve “made it” to learn what studios look for in a series “bible,” pitch deck, pilot, and proof-of-concept.
FREE Parking is located at 342 Matthews Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90033